Online Excel Training
Our online Excel training experience is designed to teach Microsoft Excel in a fun, interactive, self-paced, and social way.
It teaches the content through lecture videos, engaging homework activities, and instructor moderated forums so you can ask questions as needed.
The training is built with today’s technology in mind and fully utilizes the web to deliver effective Excel training.
What will I learn?
Mainly, you’ll learn to get your job done faster. You’ll discover that Excel isn’t a fast calculator, it is a platform that can be used to automate virtually any data-driven recurring task.
Here’s a quick example.
One of our training clients is a CPA firm that prepares an Excel financial reporting package each month for selected clients. Each package used to take 40 hours per month to prepare. After applying the features, functions, and techniques presented, the process now takes 4 hours per month.
Improving your productivity is the goal of Excel University. When you use Excel to get your mechanical tasks done faster, you’ll have time for more important tasks such as client service, analyses, and business development.
To view the actual Excel features and functions covered in each course, please view the course details page available on our course list.
Why train at Excel University?
When you are looking for Excel training, you are probably interested in these four things:
- Course Format
- Materials and Handouts
The content of the Excel course must be relevant and practical so that you can get your work done more quickly. Your training investment of both time and money pays off if you can apply the Excel items discussed.
The content included in Excel University is designed specifically for accountants. If you are an accounting or finance professional, the Excel features and functions covered are relevant and can be applied to your work and your workbooks.
This course is very useful to accountants because it gives insights on how to be efficient on the job.
When evaluating course formats, which range from static PDF files to YouTube videos, you want to pick an effective format that will be a good fit for your learning style.
The Excel University format provides a powerful way to learn Excel. Here’s why:
- Content Delivery: The course content is delivered both through lecture videos and written text. While the lecture videos make the content easy to absorb, the text provides comprehensive details in an easy-to-read format.
- Hands-on homework: After you have watched the lecture videos, it is time for your hands-on homework. The homework activities enable you to practice the skills presented, and include Excel exercise files, polling questions, formula challenges, blog articles, and forum posts. Answers to all exercises are provided in the solutions videos and the downloadable Excel workbooks.
- Interactive: The course is interactive, meaning, you are always able to reach out for help. Head over to the instructor-moderated discussion forums and view previous questions or post your own question.
- Self-paced: The course is on-demand so you work at your own pace and according to your schedule.
It’s a GREAT course and it’s organized in a format leagues above the usual online learning styles.
Materials and Handouts
Another important consideration is the quality of the course materials. Excel University includes HD lecture videos, copy-edited manuscript, exercises designed to teach hands-on, solutions videos, and more. The manuscripts available in the online courses are the same as the published versions available on Amazon, which have gone through a rigorous publishing process.
You have full access to all course materials during your enrollment period. If you would like to have a permanent printed reference, you can optionally purchase the published, bound copy of the textbook through Amazon. Doing so would provide a tangible resource that includes everything covered during the training session. Free access to the Resource Library during your enrollment period is included when you purchase a training bundle.
Clean & clear demonstration. Jeff really nailed this one. It’s very easy to follow!
Excel University Overview Video
Here is a short overview of Excel University.
Excel University courses are designed around an eight-week schedule and include the content from an entire Excel University volume. Most participants spend a couple of hours per week, however, the course is delivered on-demand so you can work at your own pace, either faster or slower than the suggested schedule.
Here are the links to the course lists:
Who is the author and instructor?
Jeff Lenning, CPA and Microsoft Certified Trainer is the author of the Excel University series and has developed both the books and the online training videos and curriculum.
Jeff recently received the Award for Instructor Excellence from the California Society of CPAs, and has trained thousands of accountants on Excel over the past decade.
He has provided training for numerous Fortune 500 companies and continuing education for many state CPA societies as well as the AICPA, and is a Microsoft Certified Excel Expert.
Jeff holds the following certifications:
- Certified Public Accountant
- Microsoft Certified Trainer
- Certified IT Professional
- Microsoft Certified Excel Expert
He has contributed 30+ articles to trade publications such as the Journal of Accountancy and California CPA Magazine.
“The Excel University format allows me to teach with more precision than any other delivery method I’ve used over the past decade, including group live sessions and webcasts. It provides the control I need to deliver the content in exactly the right way. To me, it is the most effective format for teaching Excel.”
– Jeff Lenning
Can I try before I buy?
We’ve created a free evaluation course so you can check out the materials, video quality, presentation style, homework, and content.
Guarantees and Refunds
We are sure that our Excel training will help you work more quickly, that the content will be relevant, and that you will love the format. We offer a 30-day money back guarantee. It is a 100% refund, no questions asked.
Continuing Education Credit and Certification
A certificate of completion is awarded when you pass the final exam.
The exam is immediately graded when you click submit and the certificate is available for download instantly.
The certificate of completion includes the information needed to claim the course for self-study continuing education credit.
Excel University qualifies under NASBA’s QAS Self-Study delivery method. Our NASBA sponsor number is 124370.
Are there any prerequisites?
There are no formal prerequisites, but the course assumes you know the basics, such as how to open and save workbooks. Excel University isn’t designed to provide an introduction to Excel, rather, it is designed for people who know the basics looking to become proficient. Also, we recommend you start with Volume 1 and work through the volumes in order since the content builds progressively.
How long do I have to complete the course?
Once you sign up, you have one year to access the online session and complete the course. This timeline is established by NASBA, and as a CPE sponsor Excel University is bound by this term.
You have full access to the online course materials during the entire enrollment period, even after you complete the exam and receive your certificate of completion.
For students looking for an ongoing reference, the bound textbooks are available from Amazon and the Resource Library is available during your enrollment period when you purchase a training bundle and then on an ongoing subscription basis if desired.
What is the fee?
Courses start at $179. The course enrollment fee includes everything you need, including online access to the book chapters, lecture videos, homework activities, and solutions videos.
Your training investment of both time and fees pays handsome efficiency dividends each month as many of your manual tasks are delegated to Excel. Excel University offers an attractive ROI.
Note: optional bound textbooks are available from Amazon (not required to complete the online course)
Don’t Take Our Word For It!
Excel University was recognized as one of the Top 10 Courses for CPE Credit! Check out the full Top 10 list by Canopy.
Check out the short Student Interviews video to hear directly from Excel University students.
Join the 16,000+ students who have experienced the Excel University curriculum in its various delivery formats. We’ve put together some evaluation quotes and stats from the sessions to give you a sense of the student experience.
- “I thought every part of it was awesome and very interesting. It really let me know what an amazing tool Excel is.”
- “I know it will really help me to set up some efficient record keeping workbooks that I can maintain in an accurate and timely manner. Thanks!”
- “Thanks Jeff for a great course!!”
- “Great principles explained very well! Thanks!”
- “Thanks for the great course! My favorite items would be data validation, subtotal function, and worksheet/workbook organization.”
- “I learned so much from this class and am excited to take Volume 2!”
- “Fun course…..thanks Jeff!”
- “It really was one of the best in format I’ve done… I wish all were as well done as that one was!
- “This course is well organized, user focused, and interactive. I would recommend it to anyone who creates worksheets in Excel or works in Excel frequently.”
- “The class is highly recommended to Finance and Accounting personnel. The webinars are short, and very informative. The quiz allows you to absorb the materials better. The book is very helpful as well.”
- “Well designed. Broken down to smaller sections, it’s easy to follow and practice the newly learnt tips during the homework section.”
- “Clean & clear demonstration. Jeff really nailed this one. It’s very easy to follow and he also made it interactive in the forum section.”
- “Good combination of videos/book/homework/blog. Videos are easier to follow, book makes it easier to refer later, homework reinforces and blog appeals to those working better with words than videos.”
- “This course is excellent. Excellent. Excellent. I really like the combination of different media (videos/books/blogs/forum). I also like the smaller sections so you can learn one function at a time. You really understand how we learn and help us get there.”
- “The strength of this course is the instructor himself. He is an accountant who happens to be an MS Excel expert. He understands what accountants need from the program and what the program can do for accountants…to improve productivity and efficiency.”
- “It’s a GREAT course and it’s organized in a format leagues above the usual online learning styles.”
By the Numbers
of student polls report that content is both relevant and new
out of 5 is average “instructor knowledge of subject” evaluation score
would recommend this course to a friend
Students from all 50 US states and more than 100 countries have enrolled into Excel University. Here’s a cool map that highlights our student countries.
Begin training immediately after purchase
Forums are moderated by instructors and questions are answered
Download and print your certificate instantly upon completion
Pause and Resume
Pause and resume training as needed
Unlimited Exam Attempts
Re-attempt exams as necessary
Full vs. Lite Versions
The Excel University series was designed and developed for accounting professionals. Since its launch however, we’ve come to discover that Excel University appeals to a far wider audience. As such, we have created two versions (Full and Lite) of each online course.
The Full version is targeted to accounting professionals and delivers our premier training experience. The full version meets NASBA’s QAS Self-Study standards for claiming CPE credit, includes instructor-moderated forums, and provides a certificate of completion. Complete the full versions of Excel University Volumes 1-4 to earn the Excel University Graduate Certification. Once completed, you may use the official Certified Excel University Graduate designation on your LinkedIn profile and resume/cv.
The Lite version includes the same content as the full version but excludes CPE-related elements such as quizzes, instructor-moderated forums, the final exam, and the certificate of completion. The lite versions do not qualify for the Excel University Graduate Certification or the ability to use the Certified Excel University Graduate designation.
The chart below summarizes the differences.
Continuing Education (CPE) Credit
Moderated Forums (Ask questions; get answers)
Quizzes with Feedback
Certificate of Completion
Excel Homework Exercises
One Year Enrollment
Begin Training Immediately
If you are sincere about improving your Excel skills, and you are ready to go, click the button below to take the next step and begin the enrollment process.
Not ready…want to learn more?
If you are not quite ready, and want to learn more, use the buttons below to navigate to a more detailed page based on who you are.
I’m an Individual
If you’re an individual looking to take an online Excel training course, you are in the right place. The sessions are on-demand, so you can register and gain access to the content immediately. Click to learn more and to view a sample week.
I’m a Training Coordinator
If you are a training coordinator, we offer group enrollment discounts into our on-demand sessions, or, we can set up a private session for your group. Click to learn more about group options.
I’m a College Professor
If you’re a college professor looking to utilize the Excel University curriculum for your course, there are many ways to integrate the content into your classroom. We have several ideas, and are happy to explore others.
I’m a CPA
If you are a CPA looking to obtain continuing professional education credit for an online Microsoft Excel training course, please visit our Excel CPE page which provides additional information.