Excel University Volume 4 Update
Alright friends, I have an update about Excel University Volume 4. I’ve just about completed the initial draft, and am very pleased with how it is shaping up so far.
Volume 1 is the foundations volume. Volume 2 is where we discuss formula-based reports. Volume 3 is where we cover PivotTable reports. Volume 4 is where we cover workpapers. We explore tons of ways to improve workbooks that are primarily designed for our own internal use rather than for communicating information to others.
Volume 4 will conclude the “undergraduate” volumes. After that, I’ll begin working on the “masters” volumes. Cute, right? After building a rock-solid foundation with the undergrad series, we can explore some really fun stuff in the masters series.
I’m just about done with the initial draft. The initial draft stage is where I figure out exactly what I want to cover and also where I set up the hands-on exercises. At this point, I’m mostly concerned with what I want to say, not how I want to say it. For me, the initial draft is the most exciting part of the process.
After the initial draft comes rounds and rounds of clean up and proofing. It is surprising how long this clean-up stage takes. For me personally, it is the toughest part of the process.
Once the text of the book is looking good, I send it off to the publisher for final copy-editing and interior design. While it is there, I begin working on the solutions videos, lecture videos, exam questions, and review questions so that I can launch the online course close to the time when the publisher is done and the book is available on Amazon.
As you can see, I am still early in the process, and as such, am not sure about the release date.
Table of Contents
Here is the current table of contents, and I think this will be pretty close to the final.
- Chapter 1: Overview
- Chapter 2: Selected Shortcuts
- Chapter 3: Sorting and Filtering
- Chapter 4: Outlining
- Chapter 5: Formatting
- Chapter 6: Printing
- Chapter 7: Protecting
- Chapter 8: Hyperlink Feature
- Chapter 9: HYPERLINK Function
- Chapter 10: IF Alternatives
- Chapter 11: Lookup Functions
- Chapter 12: Text Functions
- Chapter 13: Date Functions
- Chapter 14: Insert Function
- Chapter 15: Ribbon Review
- Chapter 16: Conditional Formatting Revisited
- Chapter 17: Names Revisited
- Chapter 18: Tables Revisited
- Chapter 19: Wildcards Revisited
- Chapter 20: Start Here Revisited
- Chapter 21: Journal Entry Preparation
- Chapter 22: Budgeting
- Chapter 23: Common Workpapers
I’m super excited about this volume, and now I need to stop writing this post so I can get back to work on it!