Online Microsoft Excel CPE for CPAs
Obtain CPE continuing education credit for our online Microsoft Excel training courses. If you are a CPA looking to obtain professional education credit for Excel training, you’ve come to the right place.
A brief description of how Excel University’s unique format compares with traditional CPE delivery methods is provided below, but if you are ready, please check out our Excel course list.
Excel University is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors.
State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org.
Excel University, sponsor #124370, is approved for QAS Self-Study delivery method. Visit our CPE Information page for more information by state.
CPE Delivery Methods
There are currently three recognized delivery methods for continuing education: group live, group internet based, and self-study.
- Group live training is delivered in person with an instructor, and the content is provided through a lecture along with course materials such as a manual. An exam is not required to receive credit under this delivery method.
- Group internet based is delivered online, and this delivery method is typically associated with webcasts or webinars. The instructor must be available in real-time to answer participant questions, and attendance checks are issued at random intervals to help ensure that participants are actively participating. An exam is not required to receive credit under this delivery method.
- Self-study courses are historically delivered with a text book and an exam. Typically, the author is unavailable for questions, and the participant works through the content individually. A passing score on an exam is required for credit.
While the Excel University format is actually a combination of these formats, it is officially classified as self-study for CPE purposes. Excel University is classified as self-study because it is delivered in an asynchronous learning environment. Per Wikipedia, asynchronous learning is described as:
“Asynchronous learning is a student-centered teaching method that uses online learning resources to facilitate information sharing outside the constraints of time and place among a network of people.” -wikipedia.com
Excel University is classified as self-study since the instructor is not available in real-time, but the good news is that the instructor is available through our discussion forums.
Want to know how Excel University prices compare with other delivery formats? Check it out.
- Average Text-Based Self-Study: $10/CPE hour. The content is typically delivered as a text book, either digital or printed, and the accountant reads the book and then takes the exam to receive a certificate of completion.
- Average Video Self-Study: $25/CPE hour. The content is delivered in video format, and is often a replay of a live webinar. The accountant watches the video and then takes the exam to receive a certificate of completion.
- Average Live Webinar: $30/CPE hour. The content is typically delivered in real-time by the instructor. Prices vary greatly with this method since some are delivered free in conjunction with promotional material.
- Average Live Group: $35/CPE hour. The content is delivered by a live instructor in a conference room or training center.
- Average Excel University: $14/CPE hour. The Excel University format is a great value.
Note: this data was compiled from a sample of CPE sponsors appearing in Google search results Nov-2014; while it is believed to accurately characterize and describe approximate averages by delivery method, there are numerous CPE sponsors and we did not perform a comprehensive statistical analysis and do not monitor prices on an ongoing basis.
Self-Study No Longer Means Alone
The Excel University self-study format does not mean you work alone. In fact, participants have direct access to the instructor. The whole training experience is designed to be interactive and social, with instructor-moderated forums and participant engagement with polls, hands-on Excel exercises, formula challenges, and review questions.
The format of Excel University is the most effective way to learn Excel. Here’s why: it combines the strengths of all three CPE delivery methods.
Similar to traditional self-study:
Content is delivered on-demand enabling you to work at your own pace and on your schedule. You train when it is convenient without leaving the office.
The course follows a comprehensive text book that provides detail on everything covered during the session. Once you are done working through the online session, you have the book as a resource.
Similar to group internet based:
The content is delivered at your computer through lecture videos, Excel screen capture, and PowerPoint. The videos make it easy to absorb the content.
You download the Excel files and work through the exercises. Hands-on exercises enable you to practice the topics.
Similar to group live study:
You have direct access to the instructor. You post a question and receive an answer. This ensures you get the help you need.
You know the questions other participants ask and how the instructor answers. You can also communicate with other participants through the discussion forums.
Excel University is delivered in a format that is unique for CPE, and it combines the benefits of all three delivery methods to provide an effective training experience. There is a 90-second video on the training page that provides an overview of the format.
You can enroll online now, and you’ll have instant access to the training content. You can start improving your Excel skills immediately. Begin with Excel University Volume 1, or, check out one of the free evaluation courses if you want to take a test drive.
Excel University courses offer:
- Instant Enrollment – start training immediately
- Instant Grading – computer exam grading is performed when you click submit
- Instant Certificate – immediately download your PDF certificate of completion upon passing the exam
- Relevant Content – practical Excel topics for accounting and finance professionals
- Moderated Forums – instructors monitor the forums and answer your questions
- Homework Activities – practice skills with hands-on Excel exercises and engaging homework activities
- Improve Efficiency – learn how to automate recurring-use workbooks
- On-Demand – work through the course at your own pace
- Reference Book – after completing the online course, reference the course book as needed
Additional CPE Notes
All Excel University courses have the following in common:
- Field of Study: Computer Science
- Instructional Delivery Method: QAS Self-Study
- Program Registration: store.excel-university.com
- Refund Policy: Full refund through Week 2
- Course Cancellations: in the event we cancel a course, a full refund is provided or if preferred, registration into an upcoming session is offered
- Complaint Resolution: Jeff Lenning, 949-200-7688 or contact us
- Additional Administrative Policies: For additional information regarding policies such as complaint, refund, or cancellation, please contact our offices at 949-200-7688
Depending on which Excel University course you select, the program level, prerequisites, advance preparation requirements, learning objectives, and recommended CPE credits vary. Please see the detail page for the desired course for additional information.
If you’d like to evaluate the production quality, content, homework, and overall training experience, please enroll into one of our free evaluation courses. Click the Course List button below to view them and sign up.